It was a few days before Halloween and the big fat jack-o-lantern had been perfectly sculptured for its final resting place on the front porch. My three granddaughters were finally old enough to be trusted with a dull paring knife to assist in the sculpting. All the pumpkin needed was a candle inside. As soon as it was dark, we tested the luminary effect in preparation for trick or treat. When the match lit the candle, my ten year-old-granddaughter exclaimed, “It’s alive!” The eight-year-old added, “It’s magical.” To a elementary school age girl, practically everything involving candles is magical! It had been illumined!